bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Thursday, January 1, 2015

My goals for 2015

I now have big plans for 2015 and hope this year is as exciting as the last. In 2014 I not only learned Rails and earned a new job in that technology but I also expanded out into other things, like Ember and iOS. 

Throughout my entire journey into programming I have always had goals and even laid out my goals for 2014. In summary I completely missed the StackOverflow benchmarks I had for myself. I did however jump into iOS as planned and completed a Tetris tutorial app last month, just in time. 

My immediate goals for this year includes the following:

1. Write my first Ruby Gem
2. Complete a non-tutorial based JS app
3. Finally release Chuych to the actual users
4. Start the creation of a tutorial to share with others.
5. Begin learning Scala, Elixir, and/or Go

I am not going to break out my goals by quarter and I am avoiding StackOverflow, which is the only goals I will not be following through. I feel as if I need to complete more projects rather than spend my time diving deeper S/O. 

One mistake I feel I made a lot towards the ladder part of 2014 is spending way too much time in books and videos and not actually writing code. I hope to change that with these goals I have laid out. I am also aiming to be realistic with these goals, which means I expand on to #5 as I plan on completing all of these goals this year. This is definitely going to be a good year for me and I am excited to move into another level of programming.

What are your goals for 2015?

3 comments:

  1. I wrote out some of my goals for 2015 here: http://www.blacktechdiva.com/hello-2015/ . I enjoyed reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some solid, focused goals. I love it! It inspired me to write about my own goals for 2015: http://jonathanyeong.com/2015-the-year-to-come/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your goals definitely aligned with a lot of things I have planned, I might even add Rust to my list of languages to experiment with this year.

      Delete