bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

First Ember app complete...sort of

I spent some time in Ember tutorials and had plans to have an Ember project built and launch back in January, but some unfortunate life events got in the way.

I am now proud to announce that I have completed my goal of getting an Ember app built and launched in 2015. The app itself if very much in an MVP state and I am looking forward to finish the other features I have planned.

Some of my experiences while working Ember how impressingly fast it is to build a Rails API when you aren't concerned with the asset pipeline or views. Ruby is a great server side language and fast enough for me, but sometimes Rails can be a little much; I highly recommend reading my blog post on the Rails API gem, which makes building an api a breeze.

Most people I have spoken with get hung up with the fact that Ember is constantly changing, which developed a very steep learning curve for learning it. I personally completed the Vic Ramon, Treehouse, ember-cli-101 resources and found them to be enough understand the basics in Ember.

I also spent some time learning form the forms and docs, as wells as attended EmberOrlando a few times.

I was basically at a point where I needed to start an Ember project and start learning things outside a tutorial, which I found to be challenging but obtainable.

My first hiccup came when I tried to connect my sample fixture data. The solution was rather easy and actually kind of silly how simple it was.

My next hurdle actually came when deploying the application to Divshot. I normaly use heroku as my go to deployment vehicle, but heard of the great tools available for ember and more specifically ember-cli. The solution for this was not as simple but I figured it out with help from @robdel12 and @jgwhite.

Takeaways:

Now that I have finally moved into world of modern day "Full Stack Developing", I am exited at the idea of separating the concerns of the api and client-side. This will give me the ability to one day try out the ever so popular React.js or even use the api data to produce an iOS app.

I highly recommend everyone who has been in rails with their head down while Front-end frameworks have been popping like rabbits.

I plan on doing more detail post into Ember and its structure in the future, but if I could recommend one tutorial to get started, it would be the ember-cli-101 book. Its the most up to date and gives you a great understand to how Ember works. It also provides the generator commands similar to Rails, that will help you get started much faster.

If you would like to view the app live, its temporary home is here and will the code is here

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you wrote about your developing journy but there is a small article. what do you think ? this is enough ? I suggest you to write more content and create motive to help people like this: http://www.spsshelp.org/services/ .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That design for the ghost writer which has been purspective the whole thing as it should have been placed many years before. look here to see more about the wrting tips.

    ReplyDelete