bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Finally building a complete test suite for chuych

Now with 10 weeks of real work experience I have gained more experience than I could have ever imagined.

I am shocked to find that my first commit to github for my chuych wasa whole 3 months later. My previous goal was to gain enough knowledge after beginning work to keep up with my daily workload and I feel I have just reached that point.

My second goal as of August was to start committing to my personal projects once again. I have succeeded by providing my first commit August 10th.  My hope is now to complete my test suite by Sunday, which will include Features and Models (using Rspec).

I am looking forward to writing a complete test suite to ensure my app is free of most bugs. I will be focusing some future blog post to my current work in testing. Once I complete this task I can move on to improving the front-end design, which has been lacking since it's inception.

TDD? More and more people I come encountered with do not use TDD and it's not a mystery that I do not use this form of testing, but the concepts I have learned from thoughbot's upcase TDD workshop has been more than enough to learn the idea of testing in Rspec. Whether you test before or after, testing is still the same, and I highly recommend learning TDD is you are interested in writing better test.

Testing small has made it easier for me to get the ball running and getting an overall idea of what needs to developed next. I currently have tests for 3/4 of my existing models and plan to move on to Integration/Feature test which will tighten up the functionality of my app. I have found that the geo-searching was very buggy and the rendering of the Javascript was also hit or miss, by testing this will help identify the problem and fix it.

For a tip:
My recommendation is to start with validation testing to help get past the awkward part of testing,  I have an example of that below.

Tomorrow I will write a post on setting up your test environment.





No comments:

Post a Comment