bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

I can't recommend Koans enough

I have basically gone through the majority of Eloquent Javascript, working through problems here and there,  and just about done with it. The book has definitely taken more time to get through than expected, mainly because it is new territory for me. I have found that Javascript is language I have to get hands on writing with, actually Ruby was the same way. I can't just read Eloquent Javascript and pick up the concepts.

I have found great success working through Javascript Koans. The basic form of Koans are simple programming test which you make pass by literally inputting the answer given. I did spend time filling in the answers without looking them up but when I got stuck all I need to do is run the test and read the assertion for help. My explanation of Koans does not give it justice, which is why I highly recommend checking it out for yourself.

Prior to moving to Orlando and taking my job at IZEA, I work through the entirety of Ruby Koans, this helped me learn the syntax of Test::Unit. Previously I only had experience with Rspec and the majority of the testing at my new job was Rspec.

Another thing the Koans taught me was how to write more test. The structure of Javascript and Ruby Koans does not require you to write test, but from reading the already made test it help me understand how to write proper and more extensive test.

Like I said in a previous post, it's hard to be inspired when you never look at the way others do things. If you write Javascript or Ruby and are not testing currently or want to expand your knowledge into testing, download the repos for Ruby and Javascript Koans today.

*Please note there are other types of Koans out there but I feel these are the best introductions into them.


No comments:

Post a Comment