bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Friday, December 12, 2014

How I learned Swift in about 3 weeks

I did not start my journey into Swift 3 weeks ago, but actually started back in June, the same month Swift was announced by Apple. I was very much focused on learning more Rails and had no real desire to learn it extensively, so I only dabbled in some reading. At that time I had already started learning Objective-C and messing around with iOS( which was just opening and closing Xcode). I started working through some of the Bloc iOS curriculum, but mainly read through curriculum and did not finish the alcohol calculator project.

Fast forward 2 months and I declared September as the month Swift for myself. I began reading the ever so dry Swift Language Guide and completed the Treehouse Swift course videos but wouldn't actually write Swift code for another month.

I have begun facilitating LearnWithMe sessions with CodeNewbies where the focus is choosing a subject in programming that you are interested in learning with others. I was approached, Swift came to mind right away, since it has been a milestone I continue to push down the list.

I started my first session with the CodeNewbies and ran through the Swift Tutorial: Quick Start, which I highly recommend due to it's great job in explanation of basic Swift programming and Xcode Playgrounds.  Just last week I started a tutorial I had on my list for months, which I highly recommend, Bloc's Swiftris tutorial. This tutorial was the perfect next step for myself to really understand how Swift works with the iOS framework. I also got actual hands on in Xcode and actually make an app work. I was blown away when I ran the build and heard the Tetris music running in the background, it was a great feeling.

Today was my 3rd Swift session and I ran through another basic tutorial called, Learn Swift. The nice part about this tutorial is the pre-packaged playgrounds you can download and play with.

What's Next?
My immediate goal is to start and complete another tutorial in iOS/Swift, I do not have plans of attempting non iOS tutorials at this point, since I already have a basic understanding of Swift; enough to at least debug errors. I have downloaded the FlappyBird Swift code which I will be reading through and plan on completing the Treehouse Swift Weather app.

If you are interest in joining me in learning Swift, keep an eye on the CodeNewbie forum for the next event.

My goal is to become proficient in mobile development and have the ability to transfer my web development ideas to the iOS platform. Thanks for joining on that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment