bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My first day and my baby steps

The has finally come, my first day of work is complete and I have to admit, I was very nervous coming into a field without any professional experience.

My expectation however was low that I would get to touch any code and did indeed spend most of my day setting up my environment, but to my surprise I was assigned a few issues and even submitted my first pull request.

I spent the morning installing my environment with the same README that I was unable to follow on my own while on vacation. I found there were a lot of hidden quirks and shortcuts that only made sense after I received the proper explanation of what the app does. After that explanation, it was shocking how similar the setup was to the Odin Projects, minus the use of foreman.

Today was a mind meld and I was expose to a lot awesome Ruby/Rails tools that I have not been as of yet. I have also not had the pleasure of setting up my environment without the use of a one-click Rails Installer.

The issues I solved were completed in the with very few code and more like baby steps for me to get comfortable with the code base. I am really enjoying this approach and looking forward to getting to know each other. Today I spent about 8 hours at my computer; to put it in perspective, I spent 549 hours learning on my own. I will now gain that much time in the Rails in 12 business days. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

*I learned some new skills that I will be sharing later. I don't I am at the place to explain how to them but will during the ladder part of the week. One cool thing was the use of Git Flow, but I will save my explanation for a later post.


No comments:

Post a Comment