bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

No need for CoffeeScript now

This morning our post scrum it was announced that we will no longer be writing production code in CoffeeScript. I mapped a plan in learning multiple new skills in JS and Ruby, which including working through a free book. I now have no need to learn it now if I want to stay focused on learning skills need to advance in a career in web development.

I have not written much production code using CoffeeScript or Front-End code for that matter, so I will not find it hard to completely stop learning this language. I am at a time where all my learning aside from iOS stuff will be closely related to the work I do (though a new Tweet from my CEO says otherwise). My main goal is to advanced my skills in Ruby and Vanilla JS. I still plan on skimming through that book eventually, but with no emphasis on writing the code.

Once I have a stronger understanding of JS I will really look into looking a CoffeeScript then. I feel as if CoffeeScript was made for the Rails devs with limited JS knowledge, but a desire to write it. From what I did write, I found easy to pick up; CoffeeScript has a lot of similarities to Ruby and it's simplicity, but also has a lot whitespace restrictions, similar to HAML.

What are your opinions on CoffeeScript vs. Javascript?

1 comment:

  1. I have heard that using HAML or CoffeeScript makes the code less valuable due to the fact there is less people out there using these abstractions. Its harder to transfer the project to new developers.

    ReplyDelete