bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Odin Ruby is done but Ruby Newbies is not: Next step is Well Grounding Ruby

Someone mentioned to me in one of the earlier meetings of Ruby Newbies, "I am not sure how newbie I am." It is true the connection to newbie is someone with absolutely no experience with Ruby, but my idea is slightly different.

I have spend the last 4 weeks working on Ruby and learning stuff everyday. There are too many concepts that I have yet to experience, I also am not extremely comfortable with the basics of working in things such as Procs and Lambdas, or even know all the cool syntactical tricks of Ruby. I just finished off a basic C course on Treehouse and a greater appreciation for Ruby. I hope to continue with my learning and work with anyone willing.

My plan now that we have completed the Odin ruby curriculum section is to work through some more Books as well as well live code on problems with the group.  I still have a long way to go on this journey and looking for anyone who wants to join, no matter what the level.

I began reading Confident Ruby by Avdi Grimm and enjoy every page so far. I am finding alot of parallels to the POODR book and even found that Sandi consulted Advi to review the drafts of the book. I am not that far in to share the concepts yet but looking forward to sharing on this in future post.

My plan with the Ruby Newbies is to work through the Well Grounded Rubyist, the book has come highly recommended to me but I never got more than a third of the way through it. My hope is to spend 3-5 weeks on it. My initial though was to go through the first 6 to get out of the beginner explanations and right into the meat of it, but it looks like I might tackle the first 4 chapters and give a talk on it. More details to come.

For those in the Orlando area, specifically orange county. You need to sign up for the free account for Treehouse and Lynda.com. I spent a lot of time during my Lynda.com 7 day free trial and looking forward to view some more advanced concepts and new languages now that I have a little programming under my belt. I am just about finished with my the treehouse section on C and moving onto to Objective-C next.

Use this link Here. Link to the WGR book review event, please RSVP, I am hoping to get at least 5.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102551882338253835993/events/cet64uian23s9snilriqs4kqifg?authkey=CIH6o6vovK37owE

No comments:

Post a Comment