bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

2nd week in Orlando

I just concluded my second week in Orlando and finally settled in. My goal is to provide shorted updates on the thing I am learning at the new job. I am actually spending less time at home home coding and learning, as my focus has been more on family and getting settled. I plan to at least get 2-3 hours a day at home.

I have began working on iOS and Objective-C, which was challenging at first. Unlike Ruby, Objective-C has a lot of boiler plate code, which I keep leaving out. I am looking forward to seeing what Swift has to offer, it seems simpler and less boilerly.

I have yet to complete my first addition to the project at work due to another issue for the release taking the majority of my time, but I am however one integration test away from a pull request. Coding and learning legacy takes a ton of time, and I wish spent more time reading code than writing code (luckily I still can).

I do want to point out that for everyone spending countless hour on getting everything perfect and making sure they understanding everything before proceeding with the next step, which applying  to jobs or completing your personal app, take a look at an article I found - What I Wish I Knew as a Junior Developer. Excepting that everything wasn't going to be perfect and I wasn't going to know everything was the reason I applied to IZEA and took a chance.

I still do not know everything and feel as if I know "nothing" (sometimes) at work. I wish I could summarize everything new I learn at work each day, but that would take entirely too much time. I hope my willingness to learn and do not mind asking questions, will keep me moving forward and able to share more.

On that note I have signed up for all tech meetups in the Orlando area. I am looking forward to connecting with more people outside of Ruby -- all of my Tampa friends, check out FrontEndOrlando. It is organized by a colleague of mine and the content pairs well with what I already know in backend programming.

I also still plan on working through the Ember tutorial, more than likely next weekend.

*Thanks for reading and please keep in touch. @brianllamar



1 comment:

  1. Woop! Thanks for the Front End Orlando Shout!

    ReplyDelete