bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Friday, June 6, 2014

I have some recommendations

 Moving_and_packing[:this_week] = "frustration"

As I imagined I have been ultra busy preparing for this move and my time in code is limited. I was hoping to get a lot more prep work done, but it's looking like Sunday before I can do much more. Saturday is the big move, which will pretty much take the entire day, but with my below suggestions, I will still be able to continue my learning via the iPad.

Here are some recommendations of things I have been working on this week.

1. If you have not read POODR by Sandi Metz, then you must. This book is absolutely amazing and full of amazing info. There is very limited code, and actually explains Practical Object Oriented Design at a highly understandable level. It as help change the way I think about code and help me understand how to write code with less side effects and dependencies. Here is a sample of the book (Chapter 3).

2. Ruby Off Rails is an awesome source for really understanding the basics of Ruby. My frustration with learning Ruby, was that all the intro videos and books start you out learning definitions of Class, Methods, etc. I am at the point where my shuts off when I hear the simple beginnings yet again, Ruby Off Rails jumps right into solving problems with videos and code samples and I am at the potin where I am hungry to learn all the advanced things of Ruby. This was previously a paid course, but now is free, so take advantage of this especially if you are Ruby Newbies. Jesse get right down to business in the videos, without the fluff and even covers testing and Cucumber (great if you just went through BDD in the saas class, as I did). You need to sign up for this today! Also I should mention Railscast is only a one-time fee of $8 and you also gain access to the entire library.

3. I plan to renew my subscription to Code School. I have previously knocked them for being confusing and too much/too little info for a beginner, but now that I have code time under my belt, and I feel I can get some value from them with my limited code time the next few weeks. Videos in general are not the best way to learn for me since it enables me to not write out code, but I hope to change that by forcing my self to complete all examples in addition to getting exposure to more advance concepts such as TDD, BDD, and Database maintenance, all things I will be using heavily in the new job.

I have 12 days until I start and IZEA has provided no expectation that I need to go through all this learning prior, but I have an aggressive goal of obtaining that Senior level within 12 months and feel the need to not become complacent because I have a job.

The journey is definitely not over and I appreciate you reading and following along with me.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for mention of the POODR book, I'm going to check it out - good stuff overall! hope the IZEA job ends up being a good one

    ReplyDelete