bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Friday, June 27, 2014

git stash and git flow is a thing

I have known about Git Stashing for awhile, but cant say I have properly used it, ever. I am now at the point at work where I am working on multiple things at once and needed to switch to a more pertinent issue in time for the Monday release. Git stash is a great tool to save your work without committing it, great for if you are in the middle of solving/building and not at an ideal stopping point to switch to somethings else.

I have heard that you should complete a commit unless its a complete thought. It makes it hard to follow commits when they are incomplete. Next time you find yourself at a an inopportune time, then use git stash. A more detailed explanation is here

It also helps when you need to switch to another branch without committing or losing your work ;)

*This has been a git filled week of post

I also mentioned git flow which is a great tool to automate some basic git commands. I have used it since day one here at IZEA and love its magic. The automation creates Jira tickets, open branches, and even closes and merges to master. Pretty amazing stuff, check it out.

*So much for all the practice spent working on my personal git workflow.


2 comments:

  1. Just be careful when git stashing and switching branches with untracked files. They don't get stashed and stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, I will keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete