bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Why I love Koans

I originally downloaded the Ruby Koans repo a month ago, but did not complete any of them till 2 weeks ago when I completed 3. I originally downloaded because of Chong's video on youtube, How to learn a language quickly, which has mysteriously disappeared. His recommendation was to complete the Koans to help get an understanding for the language and quickly. The simple puzzles help tease the brain and build muscle memory to solve the short problems.

I recently finished all 280 of the problems yesterday, over the course of 4 days, and am glad I did. Not only did I get more exposure to unit testing, I also got to take a tour of the Ruby-Lang by solving problems in all aspects of it.

The beauty of the Koans is you actually do not need to know much on Ruby, you actually learn by completing the problems and reading the tests. A lot of people fill in crossword puzzles in the morning to help exercise the brain, Koans does the same and has just encourage my learning to more on Ruby. Some things I did breeze by once solved, but I looking into how messages are passed in methods and also the method missing functionality.

Now that I have exposure to these concepts, reading through the books Eloquent Ruby, and POODR will make more sense the first time through.

My next goal is to now start on Exercism.io and finish the Ruby Monk courses. There is also Katas with codewars which I will be checking out. I originally found them to be too hard, but am ready to give them a try now.

No comments:

Post a Comment