bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Network tab in console

Nothing worse than silent errors on in your app. Javascript and the client-side portion has been notorious for silently failing errors. I was told about the network in the chrome console and it had been very helpful as of late.

I was recently tasked with feature of adding a modal to the site for extra functionality. I implemented the route, controller, and new template but found the submit button had not functionality. In order to see the error I was either calling the page directly or turning off the modal to render the new page in a new tab.

My colleague noticed my mistake while I was pairing and recommended that I use the "Network" tab in the console. I have never been comfortable with the chrome console and was unaware of it powerful glory.

The network gives you a lot of information on what page is talking to which. I was able to find the error and even view it in the tab. The error itself was a simple routing error, which I will hopefully fix this morning, but wanted to take the time and share for future reference.














Code School is currently offering a course preview for the Chrome Dev Tools. I have gone through some of it and it has been very helpful in my day to day at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment