bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Getting some great experience

As of today I not heard back from my final interview last week. I will be reaching out to follow up.

In the meantime I have been working with the Ruby Newbies on the building blocks problem set. The problems are not too difficult and great practice in solving problems using code. I have found that problems from Code Wars and Hacker Hands are great but slightly difficult. I hope once this 10 week study group is over I will be able complete those problems with ease and only have to worry about refactoring.

I am also working through the CS169 course, which I am loving. The course is laid to really take a newb to the next level. the other part that is great is the pairing aspect. I woke up Saturday morning and joined up with some other guys randomly. We actually completed the majority of the problems within that 3 hour problem set, all before my son woke up. We are scheduled the same time this week at 6am my time, if you would like to watch.

I am in my 30th week of learning and although I hoped to be farther along and already moved into front end developing, I am happy at my progression and the connections I have made. So many people have been very helpful and I amazed how willing everyone is to assist. *I will eventually learn Javascript, but I am really enjoying Ruby more than ever.

Speaking of which I threw up a RubyNewbies.org site and have been getting great feedback on it. In addition +horvathlg has done an amazing job working on the front end of the site. My hope is to eventually have a single space to recommend people to Ruby Newbies and the Odin Project. I was finding it a little daunting distributing 5 links every time I open a meeting recording.

Also special thanks to @parndt who also submitted a pull request.

*side note I have put my MBA on hold indefinitely. I might revisit it at the end of the summer, but at this point I need the extra time getting into more advanced Ruby.


2 comments:

  1. Brian, great post...I was looking at the CS169 course last week but looks like it started a few weeks ago and it would be to late to join, is that correct? I assume they will run another once this course is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure how often they plan to run the course, but the first assignment is not due till tomorrow. I think its still worth signing up for the lectures, which are extremely great quality. They are some of the best explanations into Ruby I have heard. There is also about 2500 people who are available to pair with you at all hours of the day.

    ReplyDelete