bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Reddit Interview

I was recently engage by a reddit user after posting a on a post on Bloc. I was asked a lot of thought provoking questions where some actually made me rethink why I am doing this whole journey. It helped reaffirm my efforts and actually encouraged me even more. Take a read and ask yourself similar questions if you are also onthe same path as myself. What are you  using to learn? Are you finding the community helpful?

[–] from reddituser sent 
I read your comments about joining bloc.io. I'm curious to know why you choose to pay for this course vs going the free route and using things like IRC, stackoverflow, and forums for support. How were you able to pay for the course too?
[–] to reddituser sent 
Honestly it was for the motivation and support of a mentor. I tried this previously 2 years ago with java. Now after completing bloc I feel better equipped and motivated by learning the best practices. I have even since pick up learning python.
I have been working with the Odin project as late and recommend them as a free option, comparable to bloc with mentors. Though I have noticed a considerable amount of people not follow through on it.
Stack overflow and irc are great but I find some people on there to be condescending not helpful to the average noob. It took me a month before I had the courage to ask a question on there and it still got voted down initially without an answer.
[–] to reddituser sent 
I am not sure if my reply was submitted initially from my ipad, but here it goes again.
I chose to go with bloc because of the motivation factor. I had tried Android development 2 years ago but never followed through after making my first tutorial app. Now deciding on ruby, I wanted to make sure I started on the right foot. I looked in the moving to another city for a bootcamp but then found bloc. I found having access to a mentor 24/7 (via email) and available by skype worth every penny.
I tried S/O and forums but found most to be condescending and even hard to explain my issues. I did not have a CS background, so even explaining basic concepts had a learning curve.
I was able to pay for Bloc using the monthly payment method. I was justifying the payments because I am also currently getting my MBA at a local university and 2 online classes equal the price of 12 weeks in bloc. I am also am employed full-time and have a sales job with a bonus that covered every month of bloc.
I have some more details on my impression of bloc on my blog. First blog post
[–] from reddituser sent 
I know what you mean. People on IRC and stackoverflow can really be sarcastic and jerks, not really helpful when you're just learning. What motivated you to take the course? Are you a budding entrepreneur?
[–] to curiousonomy sent 
I dont know about budding but I have been in talks on taking my capstone project to next level. I am on the fence but it might be a viable business.
My background is in business and I am currently a few days from completing my semester semester, so eventually I would like to be an entrepreneur.
[–] from reddituser sent 
Was your MBA a motivator for learning web application development?
[–] to reddituser sent 
sort of, I wrote a 15 page paper on the google story and it sparked me to look into it. I very briefly started learning C, but later found out about Ruby.
[–] from reddituser sent 
You mention "sort of". Could you elaborate on that? Is there something else that pushed you to learn web application development?
[–] to reddituser sent 
There was definitely a few different things but rather than re-write all of them, check out my blog on it First Blog Post
[–] from reddituser sent 
I see you wrote some new posts from the ones I read when I went to your website. Congrats on the 3rd job interview! Hopefully that works out well. I didn't previously see the photo of you and your child. The caption says that if it wasn't for him you wouldn't have started the journey. You also mentioned that you look at developers that have learned quickly and started working in the field and that impressed you, just as you had no prior sales experience and climbed the ladder rapidly. You say you "want to be somebody" and that you previously loved finance, but your new love became programming. What is the motivator for all of this? I'm curious to know why you didn't stick to sales even though you've progressed and still have plenty of potential.
[–] to reddituser sent 
Sales is not really career path for me but just a way to move in my current employer and gain a skill I did not have previously. I actually never thought I would do sales, but liked the idea of challenging myself, so I went for this. I am very much a person who likes a challenge and is why I have been so aggressive in gaining a career in programming.
I have indeed moved up the ladder rather quickly but definitely hit the plateau. I am currently selling a product I have no interest in (networking switches) and my next promotion would be either to field sales or management, Both of which would still be promotions in technologies I have no interest in and be less time with my family. I have considered gaining employment in software sales but have received little response, because there are plenty of sales people in the market, but there is not enough software engineers. I tweeted about it, 150k jobs made available a year but only 40k CS graduates a year.
At the end of the day I just want to do something great, so one day my son can look up to me and say, "wow my dad made that." Programming gives me the avenue to start an idea and grow it into the viable business. I can even gain the opportunity to be apart of something bigger, like another social network or even a new google glass.
The company I am talking to monday is working a new wearable technology for fitness, that will be less obtrusive than fitbit. *I will be keep my blog updated with my meeting which on Monday.
[–] to reddituser sent 
You have asked some thought provoking questions, which I do appreciate. I hope you do not mind but I will be collecting this Q & A and writing a blog post on my answers
[–] from reddituser sent 
Not a problem. I appreciate that you answered them. Go right ahead. :)

If you have any questions that weren't address, please share?


No comments:

Post a Comment