bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Monday, May 26, 2014

What's next?

So I originally started blog and journey to eventually get a job as web developer, and with that accomplished, the obvious question is what's next?

While I was still interviewing with potential employers, I was asked if I would continue to blog and lead the Ruby Newbies. The short answer is yes, although both avenues were meant to gain enough experience to get that job, I feel as if there is obviously more to learn. It would be foolish to quit all this now and go into hiding, but I also know that there be a hire demand for my time as I transition into a new career. My plan is continue the Early Bird and Night edition of Ruby Newbies as well some other projects I have in the back of my mind. This first cohort of Ruby Newbies will conclude the middle of July, but I am already looking at calendar and considering starting from week 1 again early fall.

In addition to my regular learning I will have about 13 days in between the end of my current job and the start of my new Rails job. I have been looking at the Jumpstart Labs tutorials and hope to knock out 2 or 3 before June 17th (start date). I also plan on completing the Well Rounded Rubyist as well as another book. This seems to be a little aggressive, but I am determined to fill in more blanks with my learning prior to starting.

The Move

The new job is located in Orlando and I currently live 30 mins north of Tampa, FL, So it will be quite the transition moving. My family and I spent the weekend checking out the area and have decided on a place to stay which will be 2 miles from work just north of downtown. I currently work 16 miles (my current county is the densest per capita in Florida) from my current job and spend 45-60 mins commuting in a car. Our new place will provide the luxury of a 5 min commute in car or a 15min bike ride. We also have access to the train stations via Metro Orlando, but it seems to only run the weekdays.

I have lived in the Suburbs all my life and very tired of of spending my time commuting. I look forward to living closer to work, which will allow more time with the family. I will be living 7 minutes from the heart of Downtown, which open up opportunities to attend more meetups and meet others in the area, as well as attend local conferences and events.

Deciding to learn Ruby 7 months ago was quite the challenge but it has open up so many more opportunities for me and my family. I am glad I took on this developing journey and hope those reading will also do the same.

*Please note:
I have been getting a lot of inquiries on Bloc and wanted to iterate that Bloc was not only the reason I got a job in Rails development. Bloc is a great program that comes with a price, and I highly recommend, but I also highly recommend to be consistent about your learning. Set aside time to study and make sure this is something you really want to do. Paying 5k help me definitely stay motivated to make sure I did not just throw the money away, which pushed me even hard post Bloc and while interviewing.

Thank for reading and please reach out on Twitter or email. ilikerobot[at]gmail


No comments:

Post a Comment