bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Discovered and Starting the Odin Project

I took a bit of a break over the weekend with learning. I spent time with my family and got a new couch. It was nice to not have the pressure of a personal deadline.

Well that did not last long, since I have now discovered the Odin Project. This project is actually something I found a month ago and ignored. I followed the Google plus group but did not really follow, but that changed on Sunday night when I was cruising the internet and saw a notification for a Hangout on Air Sunday night.

Apparently this group is doing what I would eventually like to get to with the Ruby Newbies group. The group has a curriculum and each week they meet to go over the assignment. They also have opportunity for pairing through out the week.

Sunday marked week 1 of the Rails project group, but the also a Wed Dev 101 group going on at he same time. Meeting times are on Sunday and Wednesday Evening.

If you have any interest in learning check out the Odin curriculum. They have done a good job laying out what you need to learn and its free.

I have begun this week's assignment, which is the blog app by Jumpstart Labs. I also started Dash and HTML and CSS Codecademy, per the the Web Dev 101 coursework. I have a strong need to learn Front-End Design and hopefully Odin will get it done with me.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Brian,

    If you had to do it all over again, would you have just gone with the Odin Project over spending all that money on Bloc.io?

    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me I personally would go through bloc, it's all about having a mentor to help you with things you can't figure out on your own. The Odin Project is great for tutorials but even then I found it hard to stay consistent with, however I did complete the whole of the Ruby track.

    It is indeed a large chunk of change, but it's definitely worth learning from someone who has the dedicated time and attention to helping you grow.

    ReplyDelete