bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Still Focused on Ruby. Passively taking offers for jobs

I am off to a great start to my learning this week. I have struggled in the past 2 weeks with getting more than 14 hours of learning per week. Previously I was waking up at 4am every morning and working 3 hours. That unfortunately has not been as easy and I am now just sleeping through my alarms, I was also going to sleep at 9pm every night. I am now just focusing on staying up at night and working 9-12pm which has been more successful. I also get 3 uninterrupted hours focused on learning.

This week I have multiple things I am focusing on:

Hartl Chapter 3 & 4
Test First Ruby
Chris Pine Chapter 9 & 10
Also anything that can help me with the design for Chuych.

I working different tracks of the Odin project simultaneously and looking forward to Ancient Ruby the next week. I attending one day in advance for the Refactoring Ruby workshop. I am nervous and excited for it and hoping to walk away with a better understanding of lang. I am also going network my way into as many Rubyist's mindshares.

On the job front:

I am doing very well in my day, so much that I am able to afford things like Bloc and Ancient Ruby. I am now passively looking for Junior Dev/Apprenticeship opportunities. My dilemma is I now make around 15k less than a Junior dev in NY of SF, so I really need to transition into a role that is comparable in salary or take an apprenticeship where I can make that within 3 months.

I am also considering doing sales within a startup in hopes to easily transition into the industry.

My thoughts have changed no that I am on the other side of Bloc, but I am the main breadwinner in my family and have to make sure my next move makes sense.

If you are looking to build a ruby gem. @brandonhilkert just released his book this morning. Pick it up to help him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment