bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Started Python and hopefully pairing

Python

I began an Intro to Programming course this week and the focus is actually on Python. I am not sure if I mentioned this before but my wife has one class to complete her Associates degree at our local community college. She has been taking photography classes up until my son was born, but took off last semester. She has no interest in going back to school now my son is here, and I don't blame her, he is pretty awesome. I offered to take her last class for her and chose this course. This should be fun since I have never had a formal programming class and have already breezed through the material.

I have also breezed through the Python Course on Codecademy. I heard how similar Python is compared to Ruby, so far I have seen no differences. Python is sensitive to whitespace and is the only difference I have seen thus far.

On the Ruby Front

I had to cancel my Ruby meetup on Monday due to the lack of time I have spent on Ruby. I went from waking up at 4am every morning to waking up at 6am after Bloc ended. I am enjoying sleeping, but it seems I will need to start waking up earlier. Last week I barely hit 14 hours which is almost half of what I did my best week.

I plan to meet new people this week and the coming and conduct some pairing sessions. The Odin group has proven to be very valuable to meeting new individuals learning Ruby.

My focus for the next few weeks will be on learning Ruby, specifically solving problems. Since the Ruby Newbie's inception, I have not had a clear idea on what the focus will be. I have now decided that is will focus on learning Ruby. primarily learning through code quizzes and group book reviews.

I feel that I now have decent skills in Rails and need to focus more on Ruby in order build on my proficiency.

Please join me on Odin and RN if you are looking to learn too.

ruby, pair

No comments:

Post a Comment