bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

An opportunity for friends to help friends

About a month ago I was approach by someone to gauge my interest in a staring a community. This community was to be one that represent the underrepresented individuals in the Tech Sector.

When I first began learning to program I dove head first into tutorials and code samples, I did not really take anytime to look around and didn't realize the proportions of Women and Minorities in tech were extremely. I didn't know as I trail blazed into a career, that I would be on of the few minorities working in my new position. 

It is very easy for companies, like Y Combinator to look back and say the reason for this is because women and minorities are not interested in Web Development or Design, and based on the talent pool applying for these jobs is proportionate to the culture make up of who is currently working in the field. Based on their article their outreach efforts will be strengthen, but I am not sure that is enough. What if there more communities like BlackGirlsCode and RailsBridge to source this talent from?

The term friends want to hire their friends comes up a lot and I find no problem with that statement or practice, because I think that this community has the potential the individuals who are hiring and recommending tech jobs to their friends to now make even more friends. 

I am proud to announced that I have joined a community of SteamRolers prepared to changed the talent and support each other in their desire to shake up the cultural make up. 

If you are at all interested in this, please check out our new site where the conversation has already started. Steamrolers.com


No comments:

Post a Comment