bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Friday, January 9, 2015

VIM indent all the way to Oz

I am have been using VIM since Thanksgiving and definitely not looking back to Sublime. I really do believe that the myth that VIM is this big mystery/archaic of programming is not real. It's similar to the Wizard of Oz, where everyone thinks Oz is this great and powerful being and when it is all said and done, its turns Oz is a short white dude behind a curtain, but that short white dude is you just installing plugins into your dotfiles.

One thing I did miss with common IDE's like Sublime, is the ability to hit `command + [`for quick line indentation. Well it turn out getting that back was easy, all I had to do was add the following to the bottom of my .vimrc, voila.

Remember, If you can dream it, you can do it in VIM.

nmap <D-[> <<
nmap <D-]> >>
vmap <D-[> <gv
vmap <D-]> >gv
Take the plunge and try vim today but typing "vimtutor" in your unix terminal.


3 comments:

  1. VIM is cool. But my editor of choice is Coda 2. I use Sublime for learning web dev stuff but for my projects it's Coda. There are a lot of editors out there. I don't find VIM to be scary at all but I do find it tedious. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked it out, and Coda has a beautiful UI, I have actually never heard of it before. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete