bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Friday, November 8, 2013

Unlikely Developer/Review: Book

I just got done reading a great book called, No Degree, No Problem by Josh Kemp. The book in it's entirety is all about Josh's experience in making the career change from Blacksmith in Virginia to Jr. developer in only 8 months. I only found his blog yesterday and was already inspired to created my first post on this blog. Now that I have read his book, I am now even more inspired to follow through with this Journey.

A Few Take Aways from the book

1. I need to pick a date when I am making this career change.
This is interesting because I am literally in my first semester for my MBA and its currently being paid by my employer (I have a degree in Finance). Rather than aim for Josh's 8 months, my plan is to make it a 12 months experience of  hardcore studying and programming. This might change in the future to be sooner, but at least by then I will have a full year of my MBA and programming under my belt. The MBA might come in handy if I start one of my business ideas.
The date is 10/21/2014

2. Stay focused
Josh outlines in his book how he spent 3 hours every night strictly dedicated to learning, even with two young kids; I can relate with having a 3 month year old son myself. This blog will not only double as my accountability to get that done, but it will also host my coding log. My goal is to keep up with the 3 hours of coding per day.

3. Meet People
I currently work in IT sales and understand networking. It is important to know people if you want your business to grow. I plan to attend my first meetup in Orlando next week and hope to meet individuals with like minds, that will assist in my journey to learn code.

Get the ebook today for only $5 bucks and prepared to be inspired. Use the link I provided below.


No Degree, No Problem

Visit my daily coding log here.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like we started around the same time. My "due date" is 11/1/14. I'll be following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome let me know of your progress too. I am @brianllamar on twitter or if you are not on there you can find me everywhere else at briandouglas.me

      Delete
  2. hi Brian, sounds like I'm on a similar path as well.. I will be following your journey! thanks for the inspirations

    ReplyDelete