bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Why Try Ruby?

Day 26:

About 4 weeks ago I was at a crossroad on what on where to start coding. I jumped in feet first with Codecademy but just wasn't getting it. I then decided on going with CSS and HTML with my background (I took a web design class in high school...thats it), I figured it would be the fastest to ramp up on. I also made a couple Squarespace site in the past and might of looked at the CSS a little, thus came CodeSchool.

I got an email stating I could get a 2 day free trial and 2 extra days for anyone I got to sign up, so I signed up my wife and enjoyed 4 days or confusingly completing the CSS course. I couldn't get through the first section without getting frustrated, I guess my ego didn't want to hit the "help" button.

I finally stumbled on this Youtube video explaining what Ruby on Rails was and why they need more developers. From that point on I knew Ruby was the first language I needed to know.

What convinced me? 
1. No repetitive coding - a lot of programming out confuses me. Ruby makes sense (at least to me)
2. Staring pay of 75k for Jr. Developers!
3. Very large Ruby Community - More people to help when I get stuck. 

My goal is be a full blown Jr. Developer by October of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment