bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Monday, April 21, 2014

My first pull request to an open source project

So I have actually never completed a pull request until tonight. I spent a good amount of time trying to troubleshoot why I could not simple push and pull my request. But after some help from a @hopefulwebdev I was able to complete my first pull to an open source project, which isn't exactly on my list of things to do, but it was in the back of my mind.

See my pull here

Here are the steps.

1. Fork the project. You definitely don't want to go messing things up on the main project folder.

2. On the master branch, you want to pull the most updated files in order to make sure all contributors are working on the most recent instance of the project.

=$ git pull upstream

3. In order to make changes, a feature branch is recommend to be made. This will help keep documentation organized.

=$ git checkout -b <feature_branch>

4. Finally make your changes and push the files to github

=$ git push -u origin <feature_branch>

5. Once pushed in Github land, the green pull request button will be available to compare, merge, and leave comments.

Now knowing this is half the battler. go and contribute!

Is there anything I missed?


2 comments:

  1. Nice work, Brian! Also a great video intro to PR's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian,you forgot the final and most important step!

    6. Lay back, smile and feel good for contributing :)

    ReplyDelete