bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ruby Newbie Iniation

Today was a bit of an anomaly where I spent 5 hours working with web dev stuff on a Monday. Not too much code but  lot of studying and reviewing concepts.

To start I had the first Ruby Newbie study group meeting. I am super stoke that we got 16 RSVP's and looking forward to continue the Early Birds on a weekly basis. I had the technically difficulty where once I pressed the start hangout, IT CRASHED!!! I could not assist anyone in getting back on, but later figured out a work around thanks to Afshin, I highly recommend following him. The man is a genius! His solution is below

"I always get errors trying to join these things... my solution:  copy the url, logout, paste the url and go there at which point you'll be prompted to log in again, after that it should work."

I also had a quick interview with company #4, which we both decided I was not a good fit (my first denial). I really having the conversation and the recruiter recommend I follow them and let her know in a few months, after I got a little more experience. I personally do not my self ever working for the company, since they a small startup and not a devshop looking for nimble software engineers to work with everything from QA to managing hadoop. Since I am not planning on working or pursuing I highly recommend you guys check them out, they Quanttus and they hiring like crazy. So if you are in the Boston or looking to move there, reach out to emily.

I finally ended my day with a quick SCRUM with the Odin group, where I plan to start doing some more contributing. It a great way to beef up the resume, and also a way to give back to an awesome project.

The final night edition of the Ruby Newbie study group went off well, with no issues. We had a full hangout with a rotating cast of characters as well as a strong number of viewers. A good amount of Novices and Beginners, which is pretty sweet.

This week I need to push at finishing chapter 9 and 10 in LTP as well as reading chapter 2 and 3 in Beginning Ruby. There is definitely so much I do not in know Ruby and I looking forward to having a strong group of people to help.

I then finished the day with 4 hours of test. I applied to company #5 at a whim after reaching to a company on twitter. I quickly responded to by the CTO and given some tests to work, needless to say I pretty excited to go through them, and found I had a strong understanding of Rails and Agile development. I was definitely weaker with all the JS and HTML questions, but I am looking forward to chatting with them since this would be great opportunity to work from home and have no need to move. I will keep up to date my efforts, I am looking forward my second interview for Company #1 today.

Roundup:

For those keeping score.

Company #1: 2nd interview today
Company #2: No response after 1st interview, I will reach out next week (sort of busy interviewing)
Company #3: 2nd interview is next TUES, in person!
Company #4: DENIED, it was a great talk, but I was not a great fit.
Company #5: No interview yet, but I have engaged the CTO via Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment