bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Quick note on my switch from Webrick to Puma

I have heard multiple times not to run WEBrick on heroku or in production but I have never received a reason why I should not until now. Most people recommend Thin or Unicorn due to the flexibility and future proofing your app. If you no plans to update an app after a tutorial or feel you will be using it for more than personal local development use, then there is no issue in sticking with the default.

The recommendation for Heroku is to use Unicorn and their reasoning is due to the use of less dynos. In a production environment your server is de

"If you continue to run WEBrick [in production,] it is likely that requests will take a long time, possibly timeout, and you will need to use many more dynos [on Heroku] than your application requires. Rather than doing this, ensure you use a production web server. A production Ruby web server is capable of handling multiple request concurrently."

Afshin wrote a good article in the study group transcripts a few weeks back that you should check out. 


I personally am now using Puma and liking how fast it spins. I got to a point in my Chuych app where it would take up to 30 seconds just to start development. Its crazy how one little thing can mke a huge difference, but I recommend anyone who is still learning from tutorials or just getting started in Rails to try out a different server other than WEBrick.


No comments:

Post a Comment