bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

3 hours of debugging to learn I need to test better

I had multiple errors on Friday which were all solved thanks to my mentor with Bloc. We spent 3 hours afterwork with my mentor combing all lines of code fixing errors only to have one left, which was with Masonry, a gem he did not have familiarity with.

Adam actually recommend that he do a pull request to fix the final error on his machine, which was nice because prior I had not successfully completed a pull from github or seen how contribution works.

I am impressed at the determination and willingness of Adam to find an answer to a problem. even though he is admittedly stumped, he found the answer offline and solved actually rather quickly.

This morning I watch two different videos on TDD and now wish I put more emphasis on learning it with this app. I instead brushed past the testing once I got the Models and controllers established. My hope is to push my self to start with strict TDD on all Models and most controllers. If I dont push myself to learn it now with a mentor then I might develop bad coding habits that could take a lot of time to correct.

These are the videos that help me change my ways. The first is actually from Ancient Ruby which I will be attending this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment