bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lots of Ruby Workbooks and Strong Params w/Rails 4

So in addition to working on my Chuych app I have completed some additional Ruby work. In the last week I have completed 8 chapters of Chris Pines Learn to Program and all of Ruby Monk (Primer).

After those two things I find that I need more and more practice in Ruby (Not Rails). I have no trouble building a web app and googling how to do things I do not know how, but one of the downfalls of learning as quickly as I have done is that I still do not understand the most basic ideas in programming.

For example: I got stumped on a while loop question. I planned to do some live coding with Ruby Newbies. To explain some questions I got stumped on. Hopefully teaching will help ingrain it in my mind.

Rails 4:

So Chuych is actually my first rails 4 app since One Month Rails. I never got a chance to go back to OMR after creating ilikerobot.com but have used it frequently when reference thing like jQuery Masonry.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why my Rspec test were failing and found out about Whitelisting in rails 4. Basically attr_accessible is not the best way to white list params, so the Rails crew added params to the controller and removed them from the Models.

I missed out on the memo but it explained in great detail in my meeting Adam.

My goal was to completely implement create Churches and associating them with Users, but fell short of the association. This weeks goal is to completely implement Users, Churches, Post. In addition I will be implementing a Geolocation Gem, as well as a Landing (sign up page) using some front end.

No comments:

Post a Comment