bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2 things I wish I tried 2 months ago

I took the day off of work because my wife was not feeling well (I needed to watch the boy). I while they both were sleeping I got through a chunk of the Rspec book and also read the first 7 chapters of Learn Rails by Daniel Kehoe.

1. Learn Rails by Daniel Kehoe

Since I sign up for everything I signed up to review a copy of the book but actually never read it since I went directly from One Month Rails to Bloc, while finishing a semester for my MBA. Well I finally read through the intro (first 7 chapters) and wished I read it when I got it. If you are new to Rails or maybe only have 1 Rails app under your belt; I highly recommend this book. It gives a different perspective to OMR and the first few chapters are gold when it comes to Ruby Newbies. The book now cost $19 a month, but similar to OMR, you can through it in a couple of weekends.

2. Rails hotline
In the beginning of the Daniel Kehoe book he goes through tons of resources including Rails hotline, which sounds pretty awesome. I currently use Bloc's office hours and have become accustomed to it, but I think I will still try it out at least once. Those who aren't in Bloc could find this extremely helpful. I will definitely write a post on it when I do use it.

Some other gems I found that I would like to try eventually:
App Scroll 
Pairprogramwith.me
RailsWizard

No comments:

Post a Comment