bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.

I have been very aggressive with my goals on learning Ruby and Rails and despite the fact that I am still ahead of schedule with Bloc, I found myself a bit down because of my shortfalls as the training wheels were removed (the tutorials no longer give you the code you need to attempt write it out yourself first). I spent the 2 separate 3 hours sessions just tying implement comments on my app and still didn't get it quite right, break my personal rule of not waiting to long to ask for help. I am definitely being a little hard on myself thinking that I have failed since I am not a Rails rockstar yet (I am over this now..see below).

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you." - Muhammad Ali

This morning I read this quote from Muhammad Ali that encouraged me help change my perspective. The quote was spoken to a High School student that sought Ali's advice on whether or not to attend college, feeling he was inadequate for higher education. I am definitely happy I am on this journey and even more grateful I am able to have the help of my mentor that will assist me with my last Comment Controller error this afternoon. I am sure that if I didn't sign up for Bloc I wouldn't of quit, but because of the program I am able to only spend 6 hours on a issue rather 6 days and then proceed with learning. If you are have a mentor or come into an issue, try to really solve it on your own but make sure you have limit on how much time you throw at - It's all part of the learning experience.

--
Its also nice to see different people starting Bloc. I'm about to learn about Omniauth and implementing a Facebook login functionality. The next section is all on the beautification of my app.

Shout out to @surgerunner and @jeterrell. Follow both of them on Twitter if you have been at all contemplating @trybloc.

No comments:

Post a Comment