bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Missed my goal because of debugging.

I seemed to have made an error in my database and awaiting my mentor, Adam, meeting this afternoon to walk through this. I did a good amount of searching through Google on how to fix it and figured out I was way off. I was busy with the family and church yesterday and was unable to give time to figuring this out. I was able to spit off my git to my mentor and got his response stating my database explosion. I really respect my mentor and his ability not to just give me the answer, but give a little bit of info to assist me learning how to figure it out.

There is an extreme amount of value with a mentorship and apprentice type learning. I am going to push Bloc on every one but I recently discovered another site that offers rails mentor help. I have not used it and only heard of it through a Rabbit Hole Session, but if you are really interested in learning Rails or Ruby and tired of the roadblocks you continue to run into, I highly recommend a mentor or even a pair to share code and issues.

I have pair programming on my list of things to do and look forward getting started with that after Bloc ends. So if anyone is interested... Bloc will be over in March for me.

As far as my progress: I missed my goal of finishing Bloccit32 last weekend. I attribute that miss to me not reaching out for help sooner. I spent all Saturday night with my database issue but was determined to figure it out myself and then did not message Adam until Sunday morning. I realize I need to make a new rule for myself and not spend more than 3 hours on a problem. Just about every issue can be figured out through Google but sometimes it takes a half day or longer to really find that answer (speaking from experience). I need to advantage of the tools available sooner to ensure I stick to my personal goals in learning Rails.

*FYI if you are not part of the Ruby or Rails group on Google plus, you should join today. I have gotten responses to my questions in less 60 seconds. Its a great tool for questions and great for finding other beginners.

No comments:

Post a Comment