bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Ruby Newbies

I had the opportunity to attend "Coder Night," which is a meetup where people from all different programming backgrounds come together and solve a code puzzle. The requirement is that you at least attempt the puzzle in order to attend, but the first visit is free of the requirement. I did not attempt the puzzle due to Bloc taking precedent and I already doing so many other thing, i.e Rspec Book, CS50 course, etc.

Even though I did not attempt the assignment I did get to see different languages explained and in action. It's also created an excitement to learn other languages, but for the time being I am concentrating on Ruby and dabbling Javascript in order to keep my focus. I do on the other hand want to learn Scala or Python next.

The group tended to be very much Ruby focused (6 out 10 of the languages were Ruby), which almost made seem like another Ruby meetup. The Java, Python, and GO programmers all had questions on Ruby and why certain things were done certain ways. There is not doubt that Ruby has it's flaws but it great to see there are a number of things that make Ruby great.

In Python for example there is basically only one way to do everything; In Ruby there is definitely multiple ways performs simple commands by making everything into an object. Another thing that kept coming is Ruby's vast community and support. It's seemed to be well respected by everyone in the room despite the comments "popularity." I guess you can compare the way they talked about the Rubyist to the same way people talk about Apple Fan People.

 I am definitely happy I ended choosing Ruby as my first full blown programming a language. It was also nice to get perspectives on code from people other than Rubyist.

--------
I have created a Google Group "Ruby Newbies." Hopefully it will be a way to openly connect with individuals new to Ruby who want to meet other's new to the language. Pair programming is also a great way in learning and hopefully connecting through a newbies platform will make it easier to start down the journey.

If anyone is interest keep an eye out on the group. I am hoping that this weekend I am have a hangout to meet new Rubyist like myself and share learning techniques

This week I hope to complete Blockmarks and continue on to Blockapedia next week.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment