bloc referral

If you are interested in learning to code with a mentor, try bloc and get $100 off.

Friday, January 24, 2014

3rd App complete: Checking logs for errors.

I am just about to finish my 3rd month learning programming and stoked that I have completed my 3rd web app. I spent about 20 hours building it and maybe another 5 this week cleaning it up. This was also my first app that I did not follow a tutorial to build, although I did reference some old tutorials for specific things and used a Rspec tutorial as a guideline.

I am looking forward to starting my 4th app Blockmarks, which involve quite a few things I have not implemented. More on that to come.

I do want to pass on some advice as well as remind myself to check the logs when debugging. I always start with the error on the localhost page but alway forget to check the "rails server" log for the root of the issue. I found a pattern when I kept getting stumped and going to my mentor for help, only to find out my answer was in the log.

This morning I had an error running my app on the Heroku. I wrote a long message with embedded code to my mentor and realized I did not even check the heroku log. I ended up deleting my message and will work on the solution some time today. I will share the app later once I get a chance to fix. For here is the Github

Remember to check your logs. cmd+f "error"

rails s

No comments:

Post a Comment